Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Hollywood, San Diego and the Mohave Desert

Hollywood
Took a quick drive to downtown Hollywood, drove up the hill close to the BIG sign and had to pay the Bat Lady and her friend to have my picture taken with them(memories of Thailand). Drove around Rodeo Drive but didn't buy anything.











































San Diego and Hotel del Coronado
Saturday, Nov 28
I'm in Oceanside, Southern California. Winter has arrived in this area. It was a cool, windy and wet day, 15 celcius. My host, Mike, took me to San Diego. I hadn't planned on going there but I'm glad I did. SD is a beautiful city with a lot of spanish influence. There is also a large naval base here and a ship rebuilding facility.
It's a pretty city with beautiful architecture and a revitalized downtown.
It was time to leave the Pacific part of my trip and that left me a bit sad. I really enjoyed the drive along the coast and all the incredible scenery. But then, I was heading for the deserts of eastern California and and all that had to offer; you'll see from my pics and stories that I was not going to be disappointed

Indio and Joshua Tree National Park
Ok, I arrived in the Mohave Desert area and new hosts, Andres and Patricia and their family. I spent two nights with this family and was directed by Andres to a number of sights to see in the area. I first went to Pioneertown where there is a reconstructed old west town. That was a lot of fun and brought back memories of my favorite cowboy movies.
I then went to the Joshua Tree Park which is a photographer's delight. I never took so many pictures of rocks, mountains and trees. If I ever return here, I'll stay a week because there is so much to see and some great hiking and camping sites.
Now, on to Arizona and hopefully kayak on the Colorado!

No comments:

Post a Comment