Monday, February 8, 2010

Mercedes (second visit) & Houston (second visit)

Back to the USA
The drive back was a long one but with a lot more to see: drove around Mexico City, 20,000,000 pop.(well, I kinda got lost 'cause roads are not well indicated), saw snow covered mountains...yes still in Mexico, went through some very scenic areas, Monterrey was something else with all its hustle and bustle, sleeping in motels that rent by the hour!!! and most of the driving was done on four lane autopistas.
It took me four days to get back to. Anyways, it was nice getting back to the USA. I told the border agent about my mom and sister Danielle driving all the way from Acapulco in my brother's motorhome, almost 30 years ago. My brother and his wife had been hospitalized after an explosion in the motorhome that eventually caused them fatal injuries. I'msure the roads my sister drove through were not like the freeways I took. My mom always tells the story of arriving at the US border and telling the agent that she was happy to be back home. The agent told her:"But ma'am, you're in the US, not Canada". and my mom replied:"It's like being back home, trust me!" That's kinda how I felt.

I arrived at the Landrys on January 26th and what a relief that was. I spent 4 relaxing days with Adèle and Rick. We golfed a couple of times, attended a quilt exhibition and generally took it easy. The quilt thing really impressed me. They are real works of art and Adèle had five entries and all very unique. I have to ask her if she won any of the awards.

The drive back to Houston was uneventful. I stayed with Christine for a few days and I finally got to meet an old friend of hers, Billy Cline, a 99 year old former lawyer, with great stories to tell. He still lives in his house in Wharton, near Houston. He talked about his life as a lawyer and some of his interesting cases and some anecdotes involving the infamous Pancho Villa. As a child, he also know Howard Hughes and they played together as 12 year olds.

His most famous case came when he represented Jackie Robinson in a court martial.
As some of you may remember(if your as old as I am), Jackie Robinson broke the colour barrier in baseball, when he became the first black man to play in the major leagues. He had been charged with behaviour unbecoming an officer when he threatened a superior officer with physical harm if he ever called him a "nigger officer" again. Billy Cline defended him very well and Jackie was found not guilty. Hollywood made a movie about the court martial. It was a very pleasant afternoon spent with an area legend.

I aslo got a chance to visit with my cousin's daughter, Adèle and her family, for a second time. It was nice to relax and enjoy a hot tub with Dennis and Adèle.

No comments:

Post a Comment