Friday, January 29, 2010

Mexico












Things I've done since arriving:
-went to a Mayan ruin at Xcambo around 2,000 years old. It's small compared to others which will have to wait for my next visit(if Mars and Pete will invite me again),
-Church on Sunday: standing room only, lots of singing, a colouful celebration,
-went to Merida, a city of 750,000 or is it 1,500,000. The main plaza had tons of vendors, Mayan dancing, cold beer and lots of to see.
-went to the clinic for my hearing, got antibiotics(hearing still not better). Marcel also got attacked by bugs and his legs are covered with bites and he's been to the clinic too.
-Pete loves to cook, we've had very tasty meals.
- went kayaking yesterday against Pete's advice. I had planned on being out for 2 hours but returned after 40 minutes, soaked and tired. I hit some pretty strong waves and a few times I thought I'd have to swim to shore.
- ate some botanna which is a free appetizer with every beer 0and piscado frito(only in the Yucatan) whole fried fish.
-finding out that the Lapierre's are very competitive at crib, scrabble and Scatergories.
-lost my ATM card which caused me some consternation. Banque National staff were good enough to go and deposit money in my RBC account.
-went fishing on the ocean with Marcel and 3 other guys. Our guides baited our hooks and unhooked the tons of fish Marcel and his buddies caught. When we returned, the Mexican guides filleted the fish called "grunts" and gave us each a huge pile which Pete cooked that night. A very nice meal indeed.
-Marcel and I went for 6 km walks a few times. I've got to get rid of some Christmas fat as I'm getting a big belly from all the driving and not exercising.
-Pierrette has taken on a mission of donating supplies to one of the areas poorer schools. On this one day, she bought cake for all the students and we went to school to share it with them. It was a very nice gesture on Pete's part and the kids were very appreciative.
-on our last evening we went to a restaurant down the road 0and had a another nice dinner.
I left on Jan. 23 with a tear in my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment