Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Leaving Canada

Well, I'm leaving Canada from Victoria. I went to Butchart Gardens today. Very nice gardens indeed...pics to follow. I'm sure the gardens are much prettier in spring and summer. It was just amazing to see the work put in by a few individuals. The gardens remind me of Paradise Island in Korea. Both were just beautiful.

I went to an old growth forest with cousin Clem yesterday. I'm glad I went and now, I'm a true tree hugger. These forests are amazing and to think logging companies want to chop them down. I can understand why environmentalists would fight and even go to jail to protect these icons. Some are over 8oo years old...centuries before Cartier came here.

Victoria itself is a beautiful city. It's very clean and has many old buildings. I didn't get to see much as Butchart Gardens is out in the boonnies and I had to be at the ferry terminal by 2pm.

I'm on the ferry now, enjoying the view and a pretty sunset. There are mountains everywhere. Today was sunny but still a bit cool. I was told there are three women to every man here. Maybe I'll have to come back. Many people come here for the weather. It is mild, that's for sure but the sun sometimes doesn't shine for weeks at a time. That has to be depressing.

I still haven't put my kayak in the water. But I hear there are wonderful places to put in along the Washington and Oregon coasts. I have a couple of Couchsurfing hosts waiting for me, one in Coos Bay and one in San Francisco. The one in Coos Bay is a "real" surfer and says there's good kayaking on the ocean near his place.

I'm having trouble finding CS's along my route. If I have to stay in motels all the time, I may have to come home sooner than expected, unless I win the Lotto Max.

So, tonight Port Angeles, tomorrow: Washington State

Nov 9. I've had a long day...driving in the pouring rain for hours and at the end, in the dark. I'm in Kelso, Oregon tonight. What are you doing there, you ask? Hell if I know!!!! Took a wrong turn. Thought I was going south. Well, actually, I couldn't find a motel and a gas bar guy told me to just go up the road. All motels were full so I kept going....and going...and going. So, Kelso.

I think I missed some beautiful country so I may have to go back....not.
I have to say Americans are really nice. They are helpful and sometimes go out of their way to give advice or directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment